Monday, April 26, 2010

The Young Victoria (2009)

I had so wanted to see this in the theater when it came out! I love period historical pieces -- especially romantic ones. Would this one be as interesting as Victoria and Albert an A&E mini-series that I adored? Or would it be a boring look into the life of a facinating family?

There were parts that I liked better than the A&E version. First I liked that they made the love between Albert and Victoria mutual from the start and did not play it as some sort of arranged marriage that one comes to accept. I also thought Emily Blunt did a great job as Victoria. She played the part with the dignity and grace befitting what we want to think Royalty are like.

However, I did think that the film was somewhat shallow. Quite simply there are just too many interesting things that Victoria and Albert did during their lives together and apart that were missing from the story. I would have liked to have seen more depth in what they did touch on or even more breadth to fit those details in.

Also, the whole love triangle thing with Lord Melbourne was too much.

All in all I am glad I saw it but would not go out of my way to see it again. I am glad I waited till it came out on video.

No comments:

Post a Comment